More than 60 years ago my grandparents immigrated from
southeastern China to the United States for the hope of a better life. Speaking
no English, my maternal grandmother had her first child when she was still a
teenager, and had 5 kids by the time the first one was 6. My paternal
grandmother spoke no English and raised 4 boys—during their teen years on her
own. I have no idea how they did it, but I know why they did it. They did it
for my parents and they did it for me. They did it for the millions of people
in China who wanted to live the American dream: security, wealth, happiness,
freedom. Yes, you had to work for it, but it was worth it.
Three years ago I graduated from Cornell University with my
Bachelors of Science in Policy Analysis and Management. My sister graduated
from Cornell too four years earlier. Our parents and grandparents poured many
hours and dollars into our lives so we could be at this moment; Ivy League
degree in hand, we were set up to change the world and to live the dream.
It is now three years later and I’m back on campus walking the
halls of the Human Ecology building, reading about alumni who started
non-profits and outstanding seniors who are making a difference. I look at the
career services office, the libraries, the shiny new buildings. I look at the
students who will be leaders in this world, though right now I think their
skirts/shorts/shirts are too short and wonder why that guy is wearing pajamas. And how can
everyone eat this much? Or walk this much?
I think about how I was supposed to be one of those students.
The one who went on to be a state senator or a lawyer or doctor. I was supposed
to live out the dream of a successful life. I look around at these students with
dreams dressed in suits on the way to the career fair. I look at the reps in
suits luring students to a lifestyle of success and wealth and fulfillment. I
don’t know if there is a greater idol out there than success, or a better
deceiver.
I don’t think I’m going to ever be one of those alumni
highlighted on a bulletin board in Martha Van Rensselaer, and I really hope I never
have to come back here in a suit, but man, am I living the dream. Only the
dream I’m living is a much different dream than the one most of these students
are aspiring to. The dream I’m living someone else gave me, it's a dream I couldn't dream up myself. It is a dream of life in eternity in
the glorious presence of Jesus Christ where there is no more sadness, tears,
war, sorrow, pain, or sin. The dream I’m living is about freedom: freedom to
walk in the light of Truth (John 8:32) and not give into the worries of this
life and the deceitfulness of wealth (Matthew 13:22). The dream I’m living is actually
about losing my life in order to find it, denying myself and picking up the
cross of Jesus Christ, sacrificing in this world for everlasting treasures in
heaven. The dream I’m living is truly satisfying and never actually ends.
Whether you know it or not you are chasing a dream that
could ultimately be eternally satisfying or unbelievably disappointing. I’m so
thankful that I can walk the halls today and know the most important thing
about my future is already determined. And that truth gives me the freedom to live the dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment