Monday, April 21, 2008

acts 28: welcome.

The team I work on has been reading through Acts, and we have recently come to its end. In reading through Acts chapter 28 today, I wasn't struck by the survival of Paul and all his shipmates in the wreck, or even how the snake's bite did nothing to harm Paul, or his amazingly bold oratory to the Jewish leaders in Rome. I wasn't gripped by the journeys that Paul had taken and the ones that possibly were ahead. Instead, this morning, I was gripped by the welcome that Paul received in these foreign places. The islanders (or natives) of Malta were unusually kind to him and his shipmates when they crashed on Malta. Brothers had traveled from afar to meet Paul in Rome because they heard he would be arriving there.

Perhaps it's because of my recent move to Orlando that I'm thinking about the welcome that Paul received when he arrived at a new and foreign place. I'm seeing now just the importance and significance of welcoming. What a difference it makes to the person who's visiting, or arriving for the first time, to be welcomed well. I was blessed to have some really terrific welcomes here in Orlando. I was greeted by a clean, emptied out room in my house, with a card and a map on the floor from a roommate. I was welcomed by my co-workers with a barbecue at my boss' house with co-workers who happily greeted me and welcomed me to the team.

I've also gotten some not so great welcomes: honks from not so friendly drivers impatient with my slow driving and turning, not greeted at a church and walked out without meeting anyone from the congregation, shallow conversations with people in the neighborhood or church, someone keying my car, and getting asked questions about my "background" that showed an ignorance of ethnicity.

And so in all these experiences in transitioning and moving, I have come to love good welcomes and appreciate the welcomer. It says something about their character- their sense of hospitality, selflessness, generosity, compassion. Whether or not these islanders at Malta had faith in the Lord Jesus Christ or not, or whether there was already a church there which caused the Maltans to welcome with unusual kindness, their character exuded an understanding of others. Maybe this was just common grace on Paul through the islanders, or maybe their faith caused their kindness, but either way, their welcome made a huge difference. The brothers welcome in Rome encouraged Paul, Scripture tells us.

Moreover, look at the lack of welcome that comes from the Jewish leaders. They, his own people, are not there to welcome Paul. Paul has to gather them all together in a meeting, and he preaches to them that the good news is for gentiles too- and they start arguing and disagreeing and leave Paul behind. His own people do not rally behind him- his brothers in the faith welcome him, and these strangers with compassion show him kindness for whatever reason. It reminds me that we are but foreigners and aliens here on earth. Our home is in Heaven. And there we will be welcomed with rejoicing like we have never experienced, and celebration like we never knew could happen.

Can we understand the significance a good welcome makes in the life of the visitor? Can we reflect the selfless, generous love of Christ and welcome others well into our lives?

No comments: