Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Comfortable Life

One afternoon I went on my daily-when-it's-sunny walk around the neighborhood, praying and looking at the houses around me. This particular afternoon I noticed how beautiful and huge the houses were. I grew up in a humble home in Queens, NY and planned on moving overseas upon graduating college. I knew I was leaving behind big houses like these when I answered God's call on my life, but for a moment on this walk I was thinking, "we could live here."

My husband has a good job at a big company, and we go to a good, big church. We have great relationships here, feel we are sharing the gospel, and feel incredibly safe. It has great views of mountains, fresh air and is a nice place to raise a family-- or retire. Aside from the fact that every other home owns a dog, it sounds like a pretty perfect place to live. Very...comfortable.

At a recent conference I went to, one of the speakers said the main barrier for this generation in following God is comfort. We put our own comfort above everything else, we will do anything to maintain our convenience, our ease, our money, our safety. What will we do to protect our comfort, and what will we miss out on in our effort to keep it?

As I looked at these homes and wrestled with the Lord in my heart about pursuing a life of comfort and a life of undivided obedience to God I realized how easy it is to get distracted, tempted and totally led away. How quickly my heart can get wrapped up in other things, in fact, even chasing other things. How easily I forget that I was bought with a price and that my life now belongs to God and not to myself.

No comments: